It’s important to be prepared for a storm before it hits. Here are ten tips on how to do just that.
- Make a list of the supplies you will need ahead of time, such as flashlights, batteries, emergency candles, first aid supplies, and extra blankets and clothing.
- Fill your bathtub with water before the storm hits so that you have a source of fresh water to drink or use for cleaning if necessary.
- Also, fill up jugs and bottles with clean water to have a backup supply if tap water becomes unavailable.
- Gather food and snacks that do not require refrigeration, such as canned goods, dried fruit and nuts, granola bars, and crackers.
- Charge all your electronic devices, like your phone and laptop, so that you can stay connected to the outside world during the storm.
- Put important papers and documents in a safe place to protect them from damage or theft. This might include insurance policies, birth certificates, credit card statements, and tax forms.
- If possible, park your car in the garage to avoid damage from flying debris or falling trees.
- Bring any outdoor furniture or decorations that could be blown around by high winds, such as patio umbrellas, garden gnomes, and bird feeders.
- Lock your windows and doors before the storm hits to keep out wind and rain.
- Monitor the weather forecast constantly and make any necessary changes to your storm preparedness plan, such as preparing additional supplies or moving to a safer location.
If you have questions about your home’s insurance coverage, give Central Lakes Insurance Brokers a call today. We proudly serve the Edina, MN area.